Local History

FACTS AT A GLANCE

BASKING RIDGE HISTORIC SITES

THE BIG OAK TREE

Originally situated in the graveyard of the Presbyterian Church, this 600-year-old white oak tree was a site where George Washington supposedly picnicked in the late 1770's.  Unfortunately, this oak tree had to be cut down in 2017.

BRICK ACADEMY

Built in 1809 as the Basking Ridge Classical School, its function was to prepare young men for the College of New Jersey, otherwise known as Princeton University. It has also served as a public school, a union hall, and a town hall. It now serves as a historic museum for Basking Ridge.

THE VAN DORN MILL

Built in 1768 as a wooden structure, it was rebuilt in 1843 as the finest stone structure in New Jersey. Thousands of stones were hauled from the hedgerows of nearby farms. Builders were paid one dollar per day to build the stone mill. Altogether this amounted to $5,000, a large amount of money in the 1800's. However, the mill paid for itself in the first year of operation.

THE BASKING RIDGE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH

This Greek Revival church was built in 1839 and is listed on the State and National Registers of Historic Places.